Приветствую Вас Гость
RSS

СТУДИЯ СИЛКВАЙР
Главная Регистрация Вход
Обсуждение. Семинар № 21 - Форум »
[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
  • Страница 1 из 1
Модератор форума: Ani, Cthulhu  
Форум » Все форумы » Семинар » Обсуждение. Семинар № 21 (для участников и не только ))
Обсуждение. Семинар № 21
Silk-WireДата: Среда, 01.04.2015, 22:35 | Сообщение # 1
The Vorpal Blade
Награды: 7
Статус: Offline
Morocco
by John Updike
[…]
We took a bus to Tangier. We stood beside an empty road at noon, six stray Americans, chunky and vulnerable in our woolly English clothes with our suitcases full of continental sun togs bought at Lilywhite's and of Penguins for vacation reading. The sun beat upon us, and the wind. The road dissolved at either end in a pink shimmer. "I can't believe this," my wife said. "I could cry."
"Don't panic the kids," I said. "What else can we do?" I asked. "There are no taxis. We have no money."
"There must be something," she said. Somehow, my memory of the moment has dressed her in a highly unflattering navy-blue beret.
"I'm scared," Genevieve announced, clutching her knapsack and looking painfully hot and rosy in her heavy gray overcoat.
"Baby," sneered her big sister, who attracted stares from native men everywhere and was feeling a certain power.
"The bus will come," Daddy promised, looking over their heads to the vanishing point where the road merged in the pink confusion of the new buildings the king was very slowly erecting.
A thin dark man in a dirty caftan materialized and spoke to us in a lengthy nasal language. He held out his palms as if to have them read.
"Dad, the man is talking to you," Mark, then prepubescent and now a graduate student in computer science, said, very embarrassed.
"I know he is," I told him, helplessly.
"What's he saying, Dad?" Genevieve asked.
"He's asking if this is the bus stop," I lied.
The man, continuing to speak, came closer, confiding a breath rich in Muslim essences — native spices, tooth decay, pious fasting with its parched membranes. His remarks grew more rapid and urgent, but a light was dying in his bloodshot eyes.
"Tell him to go away." This suggestion came from Caleb, our silent, stoic, sensible child, now a college junior majoring in zoology.
"I think he will," I hazarded, and the man did, shaking his skeletal head at our unresponsive idiocy. Our little family clustered closer in relief. Sand blew into our shoes, and the semicircular halls of the abandoned hotel, our only home in this foreign land, howled at our backs like some deep-voiced, clumsy musical instrument.
The bus! The bus to Tangier! We waved — how we waved! — and with an incredulous toot the bus stopped. It was the green of tired grass, and chickens in slatted coops were tied to the top, along with rolled-up rugs. Inside, there were Moroccans: dusty hunched patient unknown people, wearing knit little things on their heads and knit little things on their feet, their bodies mixed in with their bundles, the women wrapped in black, some with veils, all eyes glittering upward in alarmed amazement at this onrush of large, flushed, childish Americans.
The fare, a few dirhams, was taken noncommittally by a driver, who had a Nasseresque mustache and a jaw to match. There was room at the back of the bus. As we wrestled our ponderous suitcases down the aisle, the bus swayed, and I feared we might crush with our bulky innocence this fragile vehicle and its delicately balanced freight. Deeper into the bus, an indigenous smell, as of burned rope, intensified.
In Tangier, the swaying bus was exchanged for a single overloaded taxi, whose driver in his desire to unload us came into the Hertz office and tried to help the negotiations along. Allah be praised, his help was not needed: the yellow plastic Hertz card that I produced did it all. Had I been able to produce also the pale green of an American Express card, our suspenseful career down the coast, from Tangier to Rabat to Casablanca and then through the narrower streets of El Jadida and Essaouira and Tafraout, would have been greatly eased, for at each hotel it was necessary to beg the clerk to accept a personal check on a London bank, and none but the most expensive hotels would risk it; hence the odd intervals of luxury that punctuated our penurious flight from the Mediterranean winds.
The avenues of Rabat as we drove into the city were festooned in red. Any thought that we were being welcomed with red banners gave way when we saw hammers and sickles and posters of Lenin. A Soviet high-level delegation, which included Kosygin and Podgorny, was being received by the versatile king, we discovered at the Rabat Hilton, which was booked so solid with Communists that it could not shelter even the most needy children of free enterprise.
But a hotel less in demand by the Soviets took us in, and at dinner, starved, we were sat down in a ring on piled carpets, around what in memory seems an immense brass tray, while a laughing barefoot girl tiptoed at our backs, sprinkling rosewater into our hair. Mark, tickled, made his monkey face.
This sensation of being beautifully served amid undercurrents of amusement recurred in a meadow high above the sea, where, after miles of empty landscape and empty stomachs, a minuscule restaurant, scarcely more than a lean-to, advertised itself with a wooden arrow. We stopped the rented Renault and with trepidation walked across the grass, single-file, feeling again huge, as when we trod deeper into that fragrant bus. We halted when a man emerged from the shack bearing a table, and a boy emerged carrying chairs. With an air of amusement all around, this furniture was set on the grassy earth, in a spot we lightly indicated. From the shed were produced in time wine, rice, kebabs, and Cokes, which we consumed in sight of the Atlantic, of beige cliffs, and of vast pastures grazed by a single donkey — the only customers, for all we knew, that this beautiful restaurant by the sea had ever had.
Even on the rough back road to Tafraout, into the stony hills of the Low Atlas, with the gas gauge saying zero and not a house, not a sheep or goat, in sight, a little girl in a dip of the unpaved track held out a handful of flowers. The road here had become one with the rocks of a dry riverbed, so our Renault was moving slowly, so slowly she had time, when she saw we were truly not going to stop, to whip our fenders with the flowers and to throw them at the open car window. One or two fell inside, onto our laps. The rest fell onto the asphalt beside her feet. In the rearview mirror I saw the little girl stamp her foot in rage. Perhaps she cried. She was about the age of Genevieve, who expressed empathy and sadness as the girl diminished behind us and dropped from sight.

thumb

Перевожу иероглифы каприкорнов. Недорого.

НиколайДата: Пятница, 03.04.2015, 10:24 | Сообщение # 2
Собеседник Века
Награды: 1
vera
«Мы собирались… мы стояли» - многовато «нас».
«Бездомных» - как-то резковато звучит, лучше, кмк, «бесприютных».
«Купальников» - смущает. Трое из шести все-таки мальчики.
«Невероятно… Я сейчас заплачу» - выглядит так, будто она разучилась плакать много лет назад, и вот снова научилась smile
«Да и денег у нас тоже» - лучше бы про наличные сказать. Они ж не нищие.
«Ну, что-то же должно быть» - там, кмк, про то, что выход есть всегда.
‘Navy blue’ Лингва переводит как «темно-синий», а не «голубой».
«Сжимая свой рюкзак» лучше, кмк, «прижимая к себе».
«Привлекающая взгляды местных мужчин» - ‘everywhere’ Вы опустили. И получилось, что на остановке полно народу. А там, кроме попрошайки, как я понял, никого не было.
«Ощущая некую власть» - автор, кмк, хотел сказать, что она почувствовала себя настоящей женщиной, т.е. взрослой.
«Исчезающая точка» смущает. Лучше «неуловимую», кмк. А «исчезающая» я бы о чем-то протяженном сказал – о той же самой дороге, к примеру.
«Заговорил с французским прононсом» - французский можно при желании назвать ‘nasal’, но вряд ли - ‘lengthy’. Само выражение ‘in a some language’, кмк, указывает на то, что язык был им незнаком. Вероятнее всего, это какое-то местное наречие.
«Кафтан» для моего слуха звучит чересчур по-русски. Я – за «халат».
Не «растерянно», кмк, а «смущенно».
«Разнообразие сущности» смущает.
«Кожа его… Речь его» - 2 «его» рядышком. А дальше еще и «Прогони его».
«Предположил» как-то не совсем то, кмк.
‘Toot’ – это «скрежет»?!!!
«Незнакомцы» смущают. Какой-нибудь «чужой, непонятный народ», кмк.
«Штучки» еще больше смущают. И, думаю, не «вязаные», а «плетенные». И, поскольку, суффикс –чк- - сам по себе уменьшительный, «маленькие», вроде, ни к чему.
«Глаза женщин, завернутых в черное» - так, кмк, скорее о покойницах говорят или чем-то неодушевленном.
«Нашествие раскрасневшихся американских детей» - слово «детей» я бы взял в кавычки.
Насчет усов и челюсти а-ля я уже высказался. Не уверен, что запятая спасает, и что вообще ее тут можно ставить. Лучше, кмк, сделать как в оригинале – с усами а-ля и челюстью в пондант к ним.
«Он покачнулся… он сломается» - от 2-го «он»а лучше избавиться: «что этот хрупкий драндулет сломается».
«В своем желании избавиться от нас» - я это место понял так, что он пытался облегчить им жизнь. Но, возможно, Вы правы.
«Было бы значительно легче, потому что надо было умолять» - 2 «было» рядышком, и как-то меня такое согласование смущает. Лучше, кмк, «и не пришлось бы умолять».
«И никто, кроме самых дорогих отелей» - получилась, кмк, персонификация отелей.
«Странные периоды роскошной жизни» - ‘odd’ здесь, кмк, имеет значение «случайный, нерегулярный».
«На кучу ковров вокруг подноса» - у ‘piled’ есть еще значения «ворсистый; покрытый мехом, пухом».
«Марк от щекотки» - лучше добавить «от такой», «как от щекотки» - а то получается, что его и впрямь щекотали.
«Рекламировал себя, маня деревянным указателем» - там, кмк, говорится о том, что никакой особой вывески не было, один только указатель.
«Как нас много, как тогда» - 2 «как»а рядышком.
«Ударила колесо букетом и бросила его» - «букет» идет после «колеса», но все равно, мне каца, лучше бы без «его». «Цветы», например.
Это все придирки, а вообще, очень хороший перевод.

LaraMayne
Самый лучший из выложенных переводов, но кое с чем я не согласен.
«Крепких и в то же время уязвимых» - там, вроде, про то, что одеты не по сезону.
«Шиммер» - на ум приходит только «танец заграничный, не совсем, но все-таки приличный» smile
«Невероятно… я сейчас разрыдаюсь» - то же, что и у Веры. И про деньги тоже.
«Налитых кровью глаз» - звучит устрашающе. У ‘bloodshot’ есть еще значения «покрасневший, воспаленный».
«Покачивая скелетообразной головой» - тут скорее «напоминающей голый череп».
«Подкралась», «смеясь, окропила» - смахивает на шалость. А это, кмк, сервис у них такой.
«Что девочка заметила, что мы и не думаем» - я бы 2-е «что» на тире заменил.

LaraMayneДата: Пятница, 03.04.2015, 19:36 | Сообщение # 3
Ходячий Дикционарий
Награды: 5
Спасибо, Николай, за Вашу ценную критику. Уверена, что ошибки помогают нам двигаться вперед, ведь совершенству нет предела... smile

"Take care of the sense and the sounds will take care themselves."

Сообщение отредактировал LaraMayne - Пятница, 03.04.2015, 19:37

Форум » Все форумы » Семинар » Обсуждение. Семинар № 21 (для участников и не только ))
  • Страница 1 из 1
Поиск:

Copyright sw-translations © 2024 При использовании материалов сайта ставьте гиперссылку!